Phonics is taught using the Read, Write, Inc programme.
A Phonics Information Pack for parents can be downloaded from the attachment below.
At St Robert Southwell, we believe that the ability to read is fundamental to pupilsâ€™ development as independent learners.Â Reading is central to our ability to understand, interpret and communicate with each other and the world around us.Â Success in reading has a direct effect upon progress in all areas of the curriculum. We want to enable children to become enthusiastic, independent and reflective readers across a wide range and types of literature, including different text types, genres, books, posters, magazines, signs and newspapers.
Our aims are for all children at St Robert Southwell is to:
- Read with enjoyment across a range of genres
- Become fluent, confident and expressive readers
- Read for pleasure as well as for information
- Read and respond to a wide range of different types of literature
- Understand the layout and how to use different genres and text types;
- Understand and apply their knowledge of phonics and spelling patterns and use this to decode words with accuracy
- Build their bank of sight words to enable fluent reading
- Have an interest in words and their meanings, developing a rich and varied vocabulary;
- Understand and respond to literature drawn from a range of cultures and literary heritage.
We aim to develop, through our teaching of reading, the following attitudes:
- Curiosity and interest
- Pleasure and thoughtfulness
- Critical appraisal
- Respect for other views and cultures